Skip to main content

Week 2 at Colegio Menor

I cannot believe that I have already been in Ecuador for two weeks, the time has flown by! This past weekend I spent time traveling! On Saturday, I went to Termas Papallacta with two other WKU students and relaxed in pools filled with water from natural hot springs! Sunday, we went to Ciudad Mitad del Mundo (the Middle of the World)! Since our trip to Ecuador is short, we make sure to spend the weekend traveling as much as possible! This coming weekend is a Holiday weekend, so I will be traveling to Banos, Ecuador for a few days! 
Sunday at Ciudad Mitad Del Mundo monument!

College Menor is a great school and I am so thankful that I have had the opportunity to spend the remainder of my student teaching here. As far as my involvement goes in the classroom, I mainly help with individual students. I make sure to circulate throughout the classroom and help students whenever needed. I have not had the opportunity to lead whole class instruction because students have been preparing for their Academic Showcase presentations, so that has been the main focus! There is a small group of students that stay for extra help after school, so I have had the opportunity to lead the instruction that takes place during this time. I am also the students, and sometimes teachers, go to person when it comes to pronouncing a word or identifying a word. Everyday words that are used in the states are words that are just being introduced to the students here, so I have helped tremendously in this area as well.

There are many similarities and differences when comparing a classroom from the US and here in Ecuador. One of the biggest similarities is the subjects that are taught. Students in both schools are being taught the core subjects math, reading, and writing with science mixed in as well. Students are also learning the same concepts relating to these subjects as well. An apparent difference between the schools I have previously been in and Colegio Menor is the other classes offered and the amount of time spent in these classes. Since Colegio Menor is a bilingual school, students here spend five blocks per week in Spanish class. Students also spend almost one to two hours almost every day in a ‘special class’ (music, art, physical education, library) with a few exceptions. With this large amount of time in a different class, teachers are provided extra time for planning and other meetings.

Colegio Menor is a school that is very different from what I have previously had experience in. I have learned so much in such a short period of time in and out of the school. I look forward to the remainder of my time at Colegio Menor and I am anxious to see what other experiences I will encounter! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overall Reflection

My last day of International Student Teaching!  It is hard to believe that my time spent in Ecuador has finally come to an end. I will be flying out tonight and will be back home early tomorrow morning. I have faced many challenges while here, but I have enjoyed every second of my trip and it has only allowed me to grow as an individual! I will forever cherish the memories made while at Colegio Menor and while in Ecuador. Before coming I knew that the language barrier would be difficult for me. Although there were still many times that I was unaware what was being spoken or what I agreed or disagreed with, I still managed to keep an open mind and never shut down. I relied heavily on my translator app, which was very helpful! The first-grade students helped me learn important words that they thought I should know one including ice cream! As I was helping students learn, I was in return learning just as much. Throughout my experience in Ecuador I have learned that it is alwa

Week 1 in Cumbaya!

I have almost successfully survived my first week in Ecuador! I arrived late on Saturday night and spent Sunday exploring around Quito and Cumbaya with my host family. My host home is actually located in Cumbaya, so that is where I spend most of my time! She speaks very little English, so I have relied heavily on a translating app to communicate with her. I am still getting used to the food, but I have been trying new foods when possible! I ride a bus each morning to school with my roommate who is from Massachusetts also here student teaching. A bus is provided for teachers that need transportation, so the bus is filled with other teachers and student teachers.  I am completing student teaching in a first-grade classroom at Colegio Menor, which is a private school located near the center of Cumbaya. Students are bilingual speaking both Spanish and English, but they speak only English while in my class. The school days begins at 8:00am and ends at 2:45pm for students and 3:45 for tea